This vegetable bake can use any vegetables you like (limit peas and corn). You can use pumpkin, turnip, zucchini, sweet potato, potato, carrot, mushroom, parsnip...whatever you like It has a creamy texture even though it contains no dairy. It is also gluten free. Even my daughter enjoyed eating it. For this recipe I used the vegetables in the ingredients list but you can add about 4-5 cups of your favourite veg which you will layer into your dish.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 large zucchinis
- 1/2 cup cheese i use a sheep and goats milk cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, dairy free butter or ghee
- 1/2 cup flour. Either rice, wheat or gluten free
- 2 cups stock. Chicken or vegetable
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Preheat your oven to 200C. Prepare a large rectangle baking dish by greasing with a little bit of butter or spray oil.
- Using either a knife or slicer, cut your vegetables into very thin slices and layer each vegetable alternately into your baking dish.
To make the creamy sauce
- Melt the butter in a large pot on low-med heat. Keep an eye on the butter so it doesn't burn. Once the butter is melted add the flour and stir in quickly with a wooden spoon or whisk. Allow to cook for about 2 minutes, ensuring the roux does not burn.
- Now add about 1/4 cup of your stock to the roux, stirring so there are no lumps. Then add another 1/4 cup, again stirring so there are no lumps. Add the rest of the stock and give your sauce another stir.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir through.
- At this stage ensure the sauce is not boiling. If it is turn the heat down to low and allow the sauce to thicken up. This should take no longer than 5 minutes. Keep an eye on your sauce at all times so it doesn't burn or boil too much.
- Once the sauce has thickened you can now pour it over the vegetables ensuring they are fully covered. Sprinkle the cheese on top and cook in your preheated oven for about 45 minutes. Check the vegetables with a sharp knife and if the vegetables are soft then take out of the oven. If they are still slightly hard then keep cooking for another 10 - 15 minutes.
- Enjoy with some protein and a side salad.